Talmage and His Wonder Tooth

I like teeth. I like people's smiles. That's why I went into dentistry when I was deciding what I wanted to do with my life. I became a dental assistant and enrolled in school to start on my way to become a dental hygienist. Like so many others who want to become part of the dental heirarchy, I got married, put my school on hold, and promised myself that some day I'd go back and get my degree. 13 years later I still think that maybe one day I'll go back to school and fulfill my dream of probing and cleaning teeth, but for now I remain on the bottom of the dentistry totem pole.

Imagine my excitement when my eldest son had his first loose tooth last year. I KNEW that all my training would some day come in handy, (especially since Tyler can't even be in the same room as a loose tooth without cringing) and my moment had arrived. My patient, Talmage, was not the willing participant that I had hoped he'd be. After mild coaxing he let me pull his tooth.....this scarred him for life.




The little pain associated with the removal of a tooth has left Talmage afraid to lose more teeth. The past few months Talmage's two front teeth have decided that they want to meet their maker, or go to that "happy place" the Tooth Fairy takes them when they decide to make their voyage. With that said, we could not look, talk about, or joke about the loss of Talmage's two front teeth without a complete come-apart.

As his teeth became more "wiggly", one of them even started to descend about 4 mm from where it used to be. I could not imagine what was possibly still holding this tooth in his mouth, or how he did not accidentally sneeze the little bugger out. It was like a bad movie when you watch someone be mutilated, maimed by an animal, or blown up, and they still don't die. This tooth would not fall out, and it literally could have fallen right out.


One night as I was "checking" the brushing job Talmage had done on his teeth, I noticed that as I brushed this one particular tooth it actually turned sideways. That was the final straw! I was done milking this tooth along. It needed to come out, and it was coming out NOW!

I told Tyler to come upstairs and hold Talmage while I removed this eyesore from his mouth. (Props go out to Tyler for not passing out!) Before Talmage even had a chance to object, I stood victorious, with tooth in hand.

After it was over he stated that he "didn't even feel it!" It might be that he felt nothing because the tooth was hanging on by the smallest tissue possible, I like to believe he felt nothing because I am just that good at what I do!









And what about the wonder tooth's next door neighbor?.....

Tyler took care of that one with an errant bounce pass that connected flush with Talmage's face playing basketball! (And Tyler says he can't take out loose teeth.....I give him 10 points for creativity!)


12 comments:

Renee said...

Oh my goodness...Talmage is SO adorable! Love those cute freckles!

Weldon lost his tooth while in Manti...& was freaking out that the tooth fairy wasn't going to find him. Oh man...good times with these teeth!

Your family is the cutest, Sherri. Hey, let's go out sometime & get a cherry coke & catch up!

Becky and Bryce said...

Okay so you had me rolling!!! That was so funny. It's such an adventure with the loss of teeth!! What a great story teller you are, who knew, I've known ya forever and learned something new about ya!!!

Megan Isham said...

Cute blog. IT was fun to go out tonight and to get to know you a little bit.

Cassidy Meine said...

Im sure you are just simply good at what you do! He is so cute without those teeth! Mrs. Tidwell was at Westland when I was and in fact I am friends with her daughter! Good lady!!!

Mandy said...

Hey toothless mama! Good job. I'll have to hold down Brendan too. Wimpy kids. Don't they know it doesn't hurt? Reba is the only little person I know who pulls her own teeth! HA!

Snyder-mom said...

What a cute story Sherri! I agree with one of the previous comments, you are quite the storyteller. Both you and Tyler have the gift of creativity and humor.
Talmage is such a cutie! I love his toothless grin.

The Vance Family said...

Good job Sherri! That first picture of Talmage is Classic, total wedding video quality! Kylie keeps talking about when is she going to loose a tooth, she will be jealous.

Emcognito said...

I'm with Tyler on the pulling teeth...no thank you. That's what I have my husband for. He gladly ripped out Logan's tooth with no squeamishness whatsoever. I might have to keep Tyler's method in mind for future loose teeth though.

Doc Lamb said...

Don't think I could have done any better. I just "love" the little patients, especially when they scream for no reason. I did appreciate Tyler's "thoughts" on dentists. I would say there is a bit of validity to his words. Looks like y'all are doing well!

Dan

Momberger said...

He is so dang cute! Holy Hanna! I just think those three kids of yours are some of the most adorable lil things ever! I just love them and I love to see them.

Talbot Family said...

Oh my stars, that first picture of the Sauce man was soo scary. John and I are laughing our heads off. I just can't imagine having a kid old enough to lose teeth, time is a flying. The picture with both teeth gone totally redeems the 1st one that scared us half to death :)I hope he is rich now!

Kaarina said...

Look how cute Talmage is with his two front teeth missing! I can't believe how big he has gotten! What a cute family you have, good thing for that sweet baby girl. You can save the world with barbies now! Give spiderman a run for his money! I say this as my boys are running around the house dressed as spiderman,
wrestling...

Tell Talmage "hi" from Miss Kaarina! I sure loved having him in pre-school. He is such a great kid!

 
©2009 The Pearson Family | by TNB